Discipline: The Most Hated Word in Gold Making


Mommar here.

Discipline is one of those words that brings memories to the forefront.  Whether it's talking about how your parents raised you,  or the need to control your actions and choices to reach a higher goal.

Since I don't know how your parents raised you,  nor do I really want to know I'm wanting to talk about the latter.  Fun toys all the time come up for sale or auction.  Players wanting to get rid of BOE pets,  gear,  transmogrification items tempt the best of Gold Goblins in spending their hard earned gold. 

I was sitting on the Black Market Auction House deciding if I wanted to raise a big higher for an item I wanted.  This last week I was on a pet collecting march and one of the rare Trading Card Game pets came up.  The Banana Charm was up for bid,  with the price when I arrived at 21k.  That's a hefty amount of gold for a pet,  but I was in a spending mood plus it's an 80 dollar real money pet if you buy the card from ebay (or other sources).

So I sat there thumbing through the web while I waited for the auction to end.  I was outbid once,  twice (nope,  not three times a lady) by someone who obviously wanted this pet too.  I used all of my auction house techniques other than calling them bad names (they were Alliance) and then proceeded to make a decision.

I had enough gold I could drop a 100k bomb on them and knock them out pretty quickly.  But that is a seriously overpriced payment for a battle pet.  Or I could discipline myself into saying this is the amount I'm willing to pay and no more.  So mentally I set that price,  and then walked away.

As I logged on this morning I found myself the owner of a new Banana Charm and the pet that comes with it.  Frankly, it doesn't always happen like this.  Someone might want the item a little bit more than I do.  Items such as rare mounts tend to get a lot of interest and spirited bidding.  The key is to discipline yourself into knowing just what you want and what it is worth to you.  If you have higher plans for your gold (Spectral Tiger anyone) then you have to look at each purchase you make and how much that will delay your ability to reach your goal.

My Achilles heel is helping others.  I probably have given up a million gold simply by not charging my guildmates for items.  Giving materials that could be resold for bundles of gold is one of the simple pleasures I get out of life.  If I know you then I will probably help you.  But there is a limit to any generosity because I have plans of my own.  I have goals I would like to reach gold wise and purchases in the future that will be my next expectation.

So finding balance and discipline in every transaction goes to the heart of being a Gold Goblin.  Keep this in mind the next time you bid on your own Banana Charm.  Not just looking at it in how much gold your spending,  but how much time it will delay you from reaching your true epic expectations.

Good Luck and Good Profit Hunting

Crashing The Market
Pet Battling For Profits
Prime Time Professions
Retrain Your Gold Instincts:  Trigger Words
It's Patchy McPatch Day
Timeless Coins They Are A Changing
I'll Buy That For A Gold Piece
The Value of Garrosh BOA's
It's Monday Already?
Adopt A Warcraft Child Today!
Welcome To The Tuesdaydome 
Not My Server.. No No No
Maintenance Of Your Toon Army: Garrisons
The Art of Negotiation: Warcraft Style
Cooking For Fun and Profit




0 comments: on "Discipline: The Most Hated Word in Gold Making"

Post a Comment

Insider Gold Strategies

Enter Your Name & Email Below to Receive My 7 Theories On Making Gold... Guaranteed to Put You Ahead of 99% of Players Out There

 

 

Recent Comments

Subscribe to recent comments

Labels

Blog Archive

Featured On:

Just My Two Copper - WoW Gold GuideJust My Two Copper - WoW Gold Guide