#1 Best Savage Leather Farming Spot





Guest Post by Aeliel from Dreams of Iso'rath
The price of Savage Leather just won’t go down on my server – and I need to level leatherworking on my main. So I’ve been levelling my hunter, who has skinning as one profession. It’s something I’d been wanting to do anyway, considering all the pretty pets in Cataclysm (got myself a flaming turtle as soon as I hit 81; I might tell the story of the adventurous tame later), and if it saves me some gold all the better.

Doing 80-81 in Vashj’ir got me some leather, but just barely enough for 5 skillpoints. Argh. I switched to Hyjal at 81, mostly to get the aforementioned flaming turtle, and then did 81-82 there simply because I couldn’t be bothered switching back. At 82, I went to Deepholm.

Not much skinning in Deepholm, what with all the stone creatures, right? Yeah, that’s what I thought as well. I quested my way through almost the entirety of the zone, skinning the occasional dragonkin and getting more and more anxious to hit 83 so I could go skin my way through Uldum.

Then the Therazane quest chain led me to the upper left corner of Deepholm. Unskinnable flayers, rock, rock, more rock, and… what’s that? Bats? Let’s try and shoot them and see.

In red, we have the bat path. Here, Stone Bats fly all around the marked area in packs of 8-10. You shoot one, you pull the entire pack; they have 5368 health each, and I could 3-shot them even as a level 82-83 hunter. Each of them skins into one Savage Leather (no scraps at all that I could see in my brief, unscientific farming of 8 stacks of leather off them) and will also occasionally skin a Strange Bloated Stomach; they also have a chance of skinning into a Pristine Hide (I got one last night), although the droprate is so low since the nerf-hotfix that your best bet if you want Pristine Hides is to just skin lots and lots of leather and trade up using the vendors in Twilight Highlands.

The bats also drop Toughened Flesh. It doesn’t sell terribly well (just 2g each on my server) but it’s used to make the Goblin Barbecue, the Engineering-crafted basic feast of Cataclysm. (There’s a better version, providing 90 stamina / 90 something else, but it’s a reward from a guild achievement your guild is unlikely to obtain anytime soon unless you’re in <Fishing Addicts>.) I got 3 stacks of the stuff from just a brief period of farming and let’s just say that Alieth loves me very much right now considering how fast his guild chews through the barbecues.


And of course they drop vendor greys – again, in a very brief period of farming I got roughly 100g in them, plus a couple of random greens I sent to my main to disenchant.
Running out of bats is extremely unlikely, but if you do – or if you just get bored – visit the Shalehide Basilisks at the northern portion of the bat path. Those also skin nicely, although they take much longer to kill; they are, though, quest mobs, so if there are lots of players in the area you might find empty corpses just waiting for you to skin them.

If you need Blackened Dragonscales, you can go further north, in the dragon area. The Stone Drakes here are elite, yes, but they’re also quest mobs – which means other players might be doing the killing work for you – and they get knocked down periodically by friendly NPCs, which takes off a decent chunk of their health.
Personally I’ve avoided the dragons (except when I was doing that specific quest) and stuck to bats, but I thought I’d mention them in case you’re ever in need of dragonscales.

Now I’m unsure whether I want to move out of Deepholm. It’s hard to imagine anywhere in Uldum or Twilight Highlands beating this for a skinning spot. Maybe I’ll just level to 85 and then come back here…


30 comments: on "#1 Best Savage Leather Farming Spot"

  1. I agree, that this is the best leather spot I have found so far. I have been through most of the new zones, and was quite disappointed in the lack of leather to be found. I ran across this spot accidentally, and have been camped there for a couple of days since I hit 85. I que for a random, and farm bats while waiting on the que to pop.

  2. Yep, best spot. Or at least it was until you blogged about it ;-)

    The best thing about this spot though is the respawn on the bats - 1-2 minutes most of the time so even when you're sharing with a bunch of other skinners it's still worth it.

    The other patrolling packs in this area have slightly more health that the bats but drop a lot of vendor greys and a few greens. I tend to aoe a couple of packs of them and the a pack of bats, start looting and skinning and by then the respawn is about ready.

  3. For an extra little bonus, be sure to be using the treasure finding potion while farming.

  4. I have a feeling personally that it is unintended that these guys drop savage leather.

    Even in uldum quite a few mobs are dropping scraps.

    I've been farming these guys pretty heavily as a fast and cheap way to level leatherworking each day scanning the patch notes looking for that dreaded line.

    "Stonebats in Deepholm are no longer guaranteed to drop Savage leather."

  5. been farming this spot for over a week now. in the lower half of the area you've marked you will also get patrolling ravager humanoids that drop an awful lot of embersilk cloth.

    essentially, this is one of the best places to farm late at night. you can get leather, cloth, meat, greens, volatile elements, and a ridiculous amounts of high-value vendor trash. Why late at night?.... because you'll be auto-looting so much you'll crave for low latency to save you a second or two per mob.

    with a hunter, multishot + pet you can clear a pack of bats in about 2 seconds flat, the ravagers take a little longer, but you can be looting whilst the pet clears up the stragglers.

    enjoy.

  6. This is sick. I farmed this place for an hour and got 16.5 stack. Taking all the greens and other junk into account, I earn roughly 5000g per hour. Have my babies.

  7. has this been hotfixed? I found the bats & killed them but couldn't skin them, someone else on my server (Malfurion-US) was trying the same thing and was unable to skin them.

  8. Has this been hot fixed? I can no longer skin the bats!

  9. I been farming there too, but guess what, today it was not working. Could not skin the darn bats. Anyone have another place?

  10. Fixed, no longer drop leather.

  11. Stealth nerf has hit the Stone Bats; They are no longer skinnable. Sad day for leatherworkers.

  12. Not anymore. Nerfed sometime today, not even a patch note on it. They just don't skin nemore :(

  13. I went to this place after reading the post, farmed up a bunch of leather.. it was awesome. Went back 20 minutes ago and they aren't skinnable. Hotfix or is something screwed up?

  14. I just AoE'd a mob of these and they are no longer skinnable. Looks like Blizz is watching you...

  15. Oh how I hate thee, Blizzard!

  16. If it's fun, Blizz nerfs it. It's the most amazing attitude I have ever seen in an environment where they say they want more customers.

  17. @Anonymous: 5000G an hour is fun yes, but HIGHLY economy breaking.

  18. Cataclysm Hotfixes: December 21st
    - Stone Bats in Deepholm can no longer be skinned.

  19. "@Anonymous: 5000G an hour is fun yes, but HIGHLY economy breaking."

    i'd beg to differ. leatherworking/skinning is a broken combination at the minute. 50 savage leather for a pattern, or 150 savage leather for pristine hides required for a pattern that NEVER drop from any skinned mob is more of a broken mechanic.

    very very disappointing

  20. Well, since they have apparently decided it was to easy to farm leather from the bats, I would say the next best spot is the lower southeast corner of Twilight Highlands - you can farm the dragonkin there, and you get 1 - 2 savage leather per skin, as well as blackened dragonscales and the occastional pristine leather. Blackened dragonscales on my server still sell for 65+ gold each, and the Dragonscale Leg armor goes for about 1k gold.

  21. Leveling leatherworking through Wrath content was no different than this, except that if you did it later in the expansion the leather was much cheaper.

    That said I'm disappointed that Blizzard didn't even give us scraps.

  22. I went to the Lost City instance and farmed Tamed Tol'vir Prowlers just inside the instance. There are 2 packs of 5 just inside, each led by an elite. I put frost trap on the elite, and killed the prowlers on one side. Ran outside instance, and back in. Repeat on other side. Once both sides are done, run out, reset instance and repeat. Each time I get 20 - 22 savage leathers. Of course, you will run into the message of too many instances if you do this repeatedly.

  23. yea im pretty sure your not allowed to skin those bats anymore

  24. I believe it's a phasing thing - I was able to skin them until I turned in the end quests with Therazane at her throne. After that, the bats were no longer skinnable. Can someone pls confirm?

  25. Don't think so. I haven't done Therazane quests at all and couldn't skin them.

  26. Pale Roost with the drakes is my fave spot for farming. Many people passing through questing will do the work for you while you skin (as long as they aren't a skinner themselves). If there is no one else around, you can kill your own. At level 85 in 340+ GS gear... its very quick kills. I skin and get dragonscales, savage leather and occasional pristine hides. In addition, I get greens and occasional blue items along with Dragon flanks. Flanks, I have been able to sell for 65g stack. Green items I DE with an enchanting alt to level up enchanting pretty much free.

    Another great spot is Tol Barad Southern Isle. There is a quest for killing crocs that leaves tons of corpses around from one of the dailies.

  27. You all realize every time you post a spot that is good for farming Blizz nerfs it right? The latest is the tigers in Lost City. Nerfed. Now give one skin each. Sometimes sharing with the entire Wow World isn't a good idea. Use some discretion. If it's really good, keep it to yourself, because it's going away if you don't--so no you don't get to be the bigshot sharing a secret, but you lose either way.

  28. Bats are no longer skinnable =/

  29. It seems as of sometime in December of 2010 they made these bats unskinnable and they drop no loot so please do not waste your time going and seeing how great of a spot this is. I believe that this probably was the best place around to farm savage when it was available but because I have experienced a similar thing in Pandaria>Dread Wastes just north of the Lake of Stars there are these scorpions that are in groups of 4-6 and it made for a great exotic leather farming place because it had dailies related to it but now, as of the 5.1 patch you can no longer skin them. Too bad blizzard decided they needed to obliterate these great spots :-(

  30. It seems as of sometime in December of 2010 they made these bats unskinnable and they drop no loot so please do not waste your time going and seeing how great of a spot this is. I believe that this probably was the best place around to farm savage when it was available but because I have experienced a similar thing in Pandaria>Dread Wastes just north of the Lake of Stars there are these scorpions that are in groups of 4-6 and it made for a great exotic leather farming place because it had dailies related to it but now, as of the 5.1 patch you can no longer skin them. Too bad blizzard decided they needed to obliterate these great spots :-(

Post a Comment

Insider Gold Strategies

Enter Your Name & Email Below to Receive My 7 Theories On Making Gold... Guaranteed to Put You Ahead of 99% of Players Out There

 

 

Recent Comments

Subscribe to recent comments

Labels

Blog Archive

Featured On:

Just My Two Copper - WoW Gold GuideJust My Two Copper - WoW Gold Guide