Engineers do it with Power... and Portals



Engineers have always been on the short end of the stick when it comes to gold making.   During the burning crusade and wrath expansions the consensus was they made a few "neat" weapons.  The rest of their crafted gear being trinkets only available for self enhancement (and sometimes self explosion).

One of the things that occured during my wow playing days is that I inherited a troll.   The person who had first created the character had went with engineering.    Soon they were unable to play the toon and I started leveling them (we had shared the account for a bit.)   As everyone had said,   the majority of their items were of a self destruction nature (rocket boots XL ftw).   But one thing that was semi useful was the portals to different areas you could use.

One that was introduced in Vanilla wow was the Dimensional Ripper-Everylook.  Not that handy unless one of the malfunctions happened and set you in a random spot for farming.    Or needing to do a pet run in Everlook for Winterspring Cub.

With Burning Crusade the Dimensional Ripper -Area 51 (or the alliance version ultrasafe transporter toshleys station).   Again these were good to get to random farming areas,   or just for sheer enjoyment.

With the introduction of the wormhole generator northrend engineers received something much more useful.   Activating this gave the engineer a choice of where they wanted to port too.  One of the 5 areas (once they were discovered) plus the occasional 6th area (the underground) where some rare patterns were on sale from time to time.  (the dragonling patterns still sell well on multiple servers).

So why did this become a money maker for me?    I couldn't port anyone to an area like a mage could.  But what I could do is combine this with my Jewelcrafter.   Flying for the daily in northrend was the bane of my money making life.  I could do nothing those 5 minutes or so I had to fly.   Even if I jumped down from dalaran it took me a couple of minutes to fly to the point of where the monster was I needed to kill for the drop.

But with  the combination of my troll's ability for astral recall I had multiple connections to get back to my home port.    With the borean tundra area having all of the different drops I needed for the dalaran jewelcrafting dailies I could finish both of my jewelcrafting dailies in less than 10 minutes.

Here is how I have it set up:


  • I log onto to my Jewelcrafter (my hearthstone is set for dalaran)
  • Reset all auctions and cut any gems needed to post
  • I run over and pick up the Dalaran Jewelcrafting daily
  • Run and use the portal to go to Orgrimmar
  • Pick up the JC daily for cataclysm
  • Cut whatever gem is needed for this daily (I keep all of them in stock in my bank)
  • Turn in for token
  • Use my wormhole generator northrend to port to Borean Tundra area
  • Fly to where I need to go to get drop
  • Port back to dalaran (use my astral recall spell)
  • Turn in (either buy buying the gems from the AH or from my storage)
  • Recheck auctions (yes,  on my server they can be undercut that quick)
So why is this important to know?   Because in gold making,  time is money.    There are other combinations of class abilities and crafting that can be used to do similar items.  Mages are good at porting for farming or for turn-ins.  Or for restocking rare recipes.   

What other combinations can you find that will add more money to your coffers?

Til next time


Want to get in contact with me? . Email me at Dragonbearjoe @ gmail. dOT com or find me on twitter at  "@Dragonbearjoe" or leave a comment here.   You can find me hanging out on the Shandris Server,  chat me up and I will buy you a glass of juice.

Past articles by Mommar:

Happy New Tear

Tip the light fantastic

Tis the season to be goblins

My rod shall comfort thee.. and make gold











0 comments: on "Engineers do it with Power... and Portals"

Post a Comment

Insider Gold Strategies

Enter Your Name & Email Below to Receive My 7 Theories On Making Gold... Guaranteed to Put You Ahead of 99% of Players Out There

 

 

Recent Comments

Subscribe to recent comments

Labels

Blog Archive

Featured On:

Just My Two Copper - WoW Gold GuideJust My Two Copper - WoW Gold Guide