Fail Proof Gold Guide for Making Glyphs

Written By: Nooyul.

Here is a guide to help people out make gold with the scribe profession by making glyphs. Before using this guide I strongly recommend you acquire all the glyph recipes by doing all your minor and Northrend glyph research and also buying all the recipes from Book of Glyph mastery item ( witch you acquire from pretty much anything in Northrend, they tend to be pricy) You will need the Trade Skill Master add on in order to make your glyph selling skills profitable.

Is your server glyph market profitable?

First you need to check if it his profitable to sell glyphs on your server. Keep in mind that it takes 3 blackfallow inks to make one glyph, and that you can get in average from 3 to 5 blackfallow ink from one stack of Cata herb. For example, on my server, stacks of Whiptail and Cinderbloom go for an average of 30g. Buying mats at that price, I can make about 1.5 glyph for 30g or less depending on the market. Then if I look up the minimum buyout price average for all the glyphs from my server, it seems to vary from 10g all the way up to 190g per glyph. And only about 1/5 or less of those glyph are worth below 31g, that means that 4/5 or more of my glyph recipes will be profitable up to 160g profit per glyph. Make a similar comparison on your server before diving head first into selling glyphs.

Trade Skill Master

TSM is an add on that comes in separate module you need to download apart, it his meant so that you use only the module you need and limit ram usage. We are going to need the shopping, auctioning, and auction DB module.
TSM shopping

Go to the AH, from the TSM module click Shopping: Milling/Disenchanting/Prospecting/Transforming, select Mill, and select blackfallow ink. The add on will list all the herbs, pigments and blackfallow ink up on AH, and present them in order from cheapest going up to the most expansive, and give you the option to buy. I personally would buy any of those that will give my ink for 6g or less (TSM will tell you how much your ink his worth when you buy said item) and stop after that. I stockpile a lot of inks for the future, so when prices are too high I don’t invest on mats, and I invest a lot when prices go way down. Feel free to buy the other herbs you need. I find Inks of the sea and Ethereal Inks I use a lot. I normally sell my inferno inks in stacks of 20 for extra profit, as of patch 4.2 ( those trinkets are useless now...) After you’re done, it’s the most annoying part of glyph making ... mill the million stack of herbs you just bought. Here’s a tip for milling faster: get the Expeller Button add on. It will give you a macro than when clicked, will auto mill and select a stack of herb in your bags, any kind of herbs. Set this macro to your mouse wheel up and down, and all you gotta do his roll your wheel up and down until everything his grinded.

TSM Auctioning

Open the TSM main menu, and click the auctioning tab. The first option tab his personal tastes set it up however you like. Go in Category / Groups in the left hand side menu, and then select the create category / group tab. In the second text box under category, create ‘glyphs’ category. Now choose the Auction Defaults tab. Here is the important stuff you need to enter, the rest I don’t mention don’t matter so much and his up to you. Post Settings (Quantity / Duration) Post time: 48 hours, Post Cap: 4, Per Auction: 1. General Price Settings (Undercut / Bid) Undercut by: 30s, Bid percentage: 95%. Minimum price settings (Threshold): I put in 30g, this should be equal to the average price you pay your stack of herb on your server. If you’re about to post herb below that price, TSM will not post them. Set threshold as: fixed gold amount. Maximum Price Settings (Fallback): Fallback Price: 190g (see what’s the minimum buyout price for the most expansive glyphs on your server and set price accordingly) set fallback as: Fixed gold amount, Maximum price 130%. Advanced price Settings (market reset) reset method: Don’t post items (why? Because we don’t want to let the glyph minimum buyouts go below 30g or we don’t make profit. My advice is to not post those glyph that are too low in price and just let the market go for about a week. Prices normally get back up. You don’t want to contribute in undercutting a glyph too much)

TSM crafting

We are now going to create one individual auctioning group for every glyph. But first let’s set up the options for this module. Open TSM main menu, click crafting options tab on the right. General Settings tab: Sort crafts by: profit, descending. Unknown profit queuing: Set crafted item cost to Auctioning fallback. Price / Inventory settings:  Get mat prices from: Auction DB market value (you could also choose auctioneer market value if you already have done scans with it) Get crafts prices from : Auction DB minimum buyout (again; or auctioneer). Make sure that mat prices his set to market values and craft prices his set to minimum buyout. Profit deduction: 4%. Queue settings: Minimum profit Method: gold, Min restock quantity: 1, Max restock quantity: 3, Min profit in gold: 30g. Now click the crafting inscription tab on the left hand side, and go down in the options tab in here, and set groups inscription crafts by: Inks.  Now click Ink of the sea on the left list, enable all crafts, and create auctioning group. Category to put groups into: glyphs, How to add crafts to auctioning: All in individual groups, create. Repeat the process for all the other inks except blackfallow (which has nothing in it anyway) I suggest not to include the off hands and other misc inscription stuff.

Restock Queue

We’re finally all set up to make some gold. Go to AH, click Auction DB in TSM side menu, and run Get All scan. Run Auctioneer scan instead if you set your mat price to follow auctioneer in TSM crafting. Open your inscription profession window, and open trade skill master crafting at the top. From here hit Clear queue, then restock queue, then if it appears hit clear TSM filters. You will see your queue on the right side. Every glyph that will net you 30g profit over your mats price will be queued for 3 times each. Click the top entry and you will auto craft 3 of that glyph, hit create next again and again until you’re done with your queue. Make sure you have the appropriate mats from TSM shopping, and stay near the scribe vendor to buy your parchments and trade in your blackfallow inks for the appropriate required inks (normally it’s a lot of Ink of the sea and ethereal, and a bit of jadefire lion and midnight and very few shimmering.)

Posting

Now that we got our glyph inventory restocked with only the most profitable glyphs, it’s time to post. Go to the AH, click the top button in TSM side menu, Auctioning Post. Everything you created an Auctioning group for will be posted if it’s price his above your set threshold (30g in my case). To make it easier to mass post, have TSM create a mouse wheel posting macro in TSM auctioning main option window.

Post Rotation

The toughest part in posting glyphs his to stay ahead of your competition. Someday I post all my 600-700 glyphs, and minutes later I find that more than half of them are already undercut. You need to figure your competition posting pattern and try and always post after them. To refresh you’re AH posts and undercut everyone that has undercut you, click Auctioning cancel (not Auctioning Cancel All) from the AH TSM side menu and TSM will scan all your posts and ask if you want to cancel your posts that have been undercut. You need to click once for every glyph you cancel, again the TSM mouse wheel macro comes in handy here. Gather all your cancelled glyphs back from your mailbox and turn them back to the AH using the posting technique explained in the last paragraph. Repeat this rotation as often as you like when you want to undercut your competition. When your inventory runs low, repeat the restock queue process, don’t forget to run a get all scan to have accurate market prices. I find posting at around 5h or 6hPM is a good time, you get normally a good hour of being on top of the market at peak times. I suggest you refresh your posts more aggressively 2 or 3 times or even more a day during the weekend. Trust me; weekends sell tons of glyph if you manage to stay on top of your competition.

Conclusion

Thank you for your time and let me know what you think of my technique. Any comments or question please ask at berduck_dude@hotmail.com.

Nooyul

Do you want to write for JMTC? Send in a post to Markco and if it makes it past the initial screening process then I will publish your submission on the blog. JMTC pays 50% commission to writers on the day that their post goes live.

13 comments: on "Fail Proof Gold Guide for Making Glyphs"

  1. I liked this post. Not got a scribe myself but it seems useful. Will probably pick it up in the near future.

  2. very well written article! i just wanted to add a little tip. When you are canceling you can mill herbs and make ink, so i usually set up my restock, grab my herbs and make my ink while it does its thing. TSM also allows you to bind a macro to your mouse wheel so you dont have to click so much when you post and cancel.
    cheers idis firetree

  3. Fail-Proof? If you have every inscription recipe, then you're already making gold with it and don't need to read this. This is an add-on walkthrough and offers nothing of value to a maxed scribe.

  4. I would suppose that the glyph market would have died out because you no longer have to buy replacements, but I have recently been making so much gold these days.

  5. FYI for those interested there is one hour video guide for tsm in the www.20kleveling.com gold guide.

    Glyphs are insanely profitable with the right strategy!

  6. This is a decent guide but there is one thing I would change. If you're going to play the undercutting and relisting game, make sure your undercuts have teeth. 30 silver? Why not undercut by 10 or 20 gold. There is so much profit to be made with glyphs you might as well scare the competitors away so you can spend less time cancelling auctions and more time doing other things.

  7. I have recently done something similar to this guide, my Girlfriend's Hunter knows every single glyph, but I had not gotten around to turning it into a cash cow, so I was sitting on a scribe with every pattern, without a TSM setup.

    This may also be useful for someone transitioning to TSM from another suite (ZeroAuctions, etc..).

    @Jon,
    If most of your competition is using addons to automate the process, they probably don't care if it's a 1c undercut or a 50g undercut. I know I don't give a hoot, I just do a 1c undercut, cancel all that were uncercut, get from mailbox, and then repost them all 2~4 times a day. I'm pulling in about 3~5k per day with very minimal effort right now. If you're doing deep undercutting, you're probably just adding extra aggravation for yourself and lost profit. You will also be missing out on a huge section of glyph sales as they price approaches your lower threshold. If you have a 20g undercut, and the price on a glyph is at 49g99s, then you've just lost the chance to sell that glyph if your lower threshold is at 30g. With a much smaller threshold, you can eek out more sales on some of the less profitable glyphs. Since it's all part of my big bad glyph making machine, I just make what TSM sees as profitable and blindly post, occasionally doing a search on 'Glyph of' and buying out non-leveling glyphs that are at or below my production costs.

  8. @Jon
    I recomend not undercutting too much in order to keep the glyph market prices as high as possible.
    @Stede
    I consider this to be a profession and add on guide together. I believe using this technique over manually making the glyphs you think are profitable is a huge time saver. With TSM, I do a better job at selling glyphs by taking at least 60% less time I used to before the add on was out.

  9. I guess it really depends on your server. I used to do the one-copper undercut and found that 95% of my glyphs kept getting returned/cancelled. When I started undercutting by 10g I started selling many more glyphs. The increased volume made up for the small amount of profit sacrificed, many times over. Yes, some people will be using TSM, but I would guess that most people have no idea these add ons exist and will simply get frustrated and give up if they are continually undercut by a significant amount. And even if your competition is using TSM the same concept holds. If you are able to sell lots of glyphs while only undercutting the minimum, that's wonderful, but from my experience you will spend more time cancelling and re-listing than anything else. If there are a ton of people using TSM, then yes that's the best strategy. If you're on a low to medium pop server, a 10g undercut might work better though.

  10. With respect, I disagree with Jon's suggestion that undercutting should be by a large margin (10-20 gold) in order to scare away competition. Competitors will always try to undercut you and undercut you again, regardless of whether you have undercut them by one copper or 20 gold. All you are doing by undercutting by 10-20 gold is quickly (usually less than 5 hours) bringing the price of glyphs down to the break-even point of 25-30 gold. I frequently will buy up glyphs that are posted for less than break-even, clear out the queue, and then post for 250 gold. One of my competitors undercuts me by about 20 gold each time. We undercut each other 10 or more times a day. If he undercut me by one copper, he would obtain the same effect of being the lowest poster at any given time, but he would not cut off his own neck and eliminate his profits, as he does now by his aggressive price-cutting.
    All in all, it's worked out for me, as I now have 485,000 gold. I can only imagine how much more I would have (and he would have too) if he had not engaged in such deep undercutting. Oh well. :)

  11. On my server I found that the Glyph market was just not worth the time. The gold per hour was often lower than just straight up farming and selling the herbs. I am on a very high pop server and the glyph market is cutthroat, although I have found that other markets on the server offer much higher profit margins(Gems!) than the glyph market. But I know for some of my friends the glyph market is one of their most profitable, so it all depends on your server.

    ----------------------------------------------
    My Blog: http://world-of-blizzard.blogspot.com/

  12. Jon is correect in his second post, it depends on your competition and what market you are in, but there is a place for severe undercuts. In the gem market I've undercut 50g before (if the currently listed ones were well over normal cost). I do this mainly when I look at who is online and think the major competition will simply buy my auctions out rather than relist, this works well if you catch someone trying to "reset" an item to an outrageous amount - in order to sustain that they are watching and scooping up competitors.

  13. The purpose of deep undercutting is keep things a low profit floor and letting the competition drive itself even lower until it sells itself out and resets the market. Keeping the herb market prices high on the ah will starve off some, and buying out items auctioned below material costs will keep the cycle moving. Also if you do deep undercut, you need to set extremely high fallback prices to allow for the market to naturally either fall down or let demand sell it out. Either way you make profit.

Post a Comment

Insider Gold Strategies

Enter Your Name & Email Below to Receive My 7 Theories On Making Gold... Guaranteed to Put You Ahead of 99% of Players Out There

 

 

Recent Comments

Subscribe to recent comments

Labels

Blog Archive

Featured On:

Just My Two Copper - WoW Gold GuideJust My Two Copper - WoW Gold Guide