Old World Pets in Cataclysm

"Hey Markco,

Well bad news for me atm... my macs logic board committed suicide so can't play for at least a week... which left me with just the remote ah app to make money :-(

But it got me scanning the AH looking for bargains and i came up with the following thoughts...

Given that the cataclysm is going to re-face the entire world... of warcraft... I am going to try and store some items i think will no longer be available to acquire ever again... namely non-combat pet drops...

Because of the many zone/level changes I forsee a chance that certain semi-easy to obtain pets (such as the various hatchling dino's and black tabby) will either be a lot harder to obtain or possibly (and here's what i'm hoping for) that they vanish COMPLETELY from the future game...

Now i am trying to stock up 5 of each of these pets... not an overly difficult task... as i see at worst they'll sell for what they currently sell for or maybe less, but given that they've been farmed by me for no outlay other than time, its all profit... if they vanish or become harder to obtain it could be plausible for them to become virtually priceless to pet collectors, even selling for, dare i say it, 100k+ gold in the future... i know this is speculation but i thought it might be worth, along with storing the required stuff for professions, looking at where these tradable rare drop items, which effectively are completely unaffected by game mechanic/class/profession changes, are currently and how cataclysm can effectively make you very rich from patch day...

Basically identifying things that are available today in the old world that, come cataclysm upgrade day, will instantly become finite resources (ie people have to have had them in their bag/bank) and value will exponentially continue to increase as they're used up...

We've never seen a gold making opportunity on the scale that cataclysm will bring as things WILL vanish from the game...  and given the nature of the pets in-game the risk is that you make slightly less gold for the free drop than you may have... so it would at worst be a profit loss not a cost to your gold balance (unless you just buy them off the AH lol).

Just a thought that i've not seen anywhere else...

Dreadker"


This is definitely not something I thought of when it comes to what will disappear come cataclysm. Great ideas Dreadker and I hope for your sake that the pets do disappear so you can make lots of gold off your idea.

11 comments: on "Old World Pets in Cataclysm"

  1. And then there will be Worgen and Goblin achievementhunters :-)

  2. Sadly, I really doubt Blizz would let a change like that go through- I would imagine the rare pets would probably become even more common, such as making the Black Tabby available to Alliance too. Personally I would take the gamble and keep them just to make sure, but if you find out the pets are available in beta sell them NOW. (Though Worgen and Goblin achievementers might want them, I doubt they would drive up the price hardly at all)

  3. Could backfire, if they increase drop rates or maybe move the Black Tabby drop to a mob that both factions can kill.

  4. Very interesting idea.

    See something like this in the trade on Haunted Mementos, the item that dropped off undead mobs from the Scourge Invasion event. Having one in your inventory bags generates a non-combat ghost that follows you around.

    Originally it was just a fun item like the Happy Fun Rock or Heavy Leather Ball, but now they go for 1,000 gold+.

  5. Just got this email:

    "Hey Marko,

    Great blog. I've been a long time lurker of your blog and forums for awhile now. I noticed a post recently about non combat pets and changes in cataclysm. One thing the tipster did not mention was the flooding of Thousand Needles. I'm not sure what that will mean for the chicken vendor selling ancona chickens, but I've been stocking up.

    Every time I have an alt in the area I always swing by and fill up my bags with chickens. Even now, these pets sell from 5g to 20g each depending on the market and sales are steady, so even if this vendor moves I'm not out anything because folks will pay a premium towards the 50 pet achievement. My hope, however is that this will be an even harder pet to find, if not impossible to purchase in game once Cataclysm hits.

    Just wanted to make you aware if you weren't already.

    -Preach, Alliance, Korgath-US"

  6. Just got this email:

    "Hey Marko,

    Great blog. I've been a long time lurker of your blog and forums for awhile now. I noticed a post recently about non combat pets and changes in cataclysm. One thing the tipster did not mention was the flooding of Thousand Needles. I'm not sure what that will mean for the chicken vendor selling ancona chickens, but I've been stocking up.

    Every time I have an alt in the area I always swing by and fill up my bags with chickens. Even now, these pets sell from 5g to 20g each depending on the market and sales are steady, so even if this vendor moves I'm not out anything because folks will pay a premium towards the 50 pet achievement. My hope, however is that this will be an even harder pet to find, if not impossible to purchase in game once Cataclysm hits.

    Just wanted to make you aware if you weren't already.

    -Preach, Alliance, Korgath-US"


    Just wow...!! Such a low-risk way of speculating. I think I'm gonna stock up...

    Also, this post about the disappearance of pets is a great idea worth thinking about.

  7. I would just like to say that ancona chickens will still be sold by a vendor in cataclysm.
    At 6:30 in this video, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=di0KyOL8uP8&feature=channel , it shows a vendor selling the pet. It does however look a little more confusing to get though.

  8. Nah I dont see them remove any of the current non-combat pets in game form the game. If anything they will up the drop rates on some if they feel they are too rare.

  9. If I were you I would get a beta key and check it out for yourself. It seems like none of these pets are worth it IMO. Most of them will be sold in Cata but I'd check before you buy like hundreds. Not worth it to me. I'd rather stock up on LK items since northrend is gonna be out of everyones way. Saronite ftw ^.^

  10. This seems like a big risk IMO. I'd check in beta to see if any of those pets are still being sold. Having hundreds of one seems wayyy to risky. I'd rather save northrend mats like saronite ore and uncommon gems for power levelers than this. If they stopped selling em tho, huge pay off. Just not a risk I'd take. GL :)

  11. This DID backfire for me. I had the same idea before they implemented achievements. Grabbed pets all over Outlands, and all Horde areas. Only to have ALL the pets as unsellable as a 'castable item - cannot be sold'. New pets from same source after patch work fine. Pets bought before hand have been handed off to guildies as gifts.

Post a Comment

Insider Gold Strategies

Enter Your Name & Email Below to Receive My 7 Theories On Making Gold... Guaranteed to Put You Ahead of 99% of Players Out There

 

 

Recent Comments

Subscribe to recent comments

Labels

Blog Archive

Featured On:

Just My Two Copper - WoW Gold GuideJust My Two Copper - WoW Gold Guide