Addon Abandonment Issues

Mommar here.

I use addons for the majority of the daily tasks I perform.   From scans with Trade Skill Master to leveling with the Wow-Pro.com interface.  Each addon attempts to make a task easier,  faster,  with great programmers behind them to update.

But ever so often a project doesn't get updated quickly.   Most of the programmers are volunteering their time for the love of the game (most of them will tell you they don't make a profit from those donation tabs on curse.com and other sites.)   There are many reasons why a addon project becomes abandoned.  From leaving the game to work to family requirements.

If you have ever been on the Curse.com website (which of course I hope you have) you will see the comments from users of addons.   Usually they start with please update this addon when it starts to malfunction.  Then it becomes a little more irritated when more errors appear.   After a couple of months there ends up being a nerd rage that strikes the comments to where the programmer is being demanded to update/fix an addon.

The key thing to remember is that it's all volunteer.   If you walk to many stores this month you will see Salvation Army bell ringers all around.   It would be very similar to demanding them to ring the bell in a certain way as you walk past them without donating.   You end up looking a little silly,  and it's a guarantee that nothing will probably change.

Where it can be annoying when your favorite addon does not get updated,  you have two choices.  Either be patient til the update happens.  Or replacing the addon with another functional addon that performs similar tasks.  Depending on one addon to make or break your money making goals is a dangerous area to be in.

Auctionator is one of my favorite addons to use.  It makes listing items very quick for me,  finding the undercut price at what I set.   I used this constantly up to the introduction of Mists of Pandaria when all of a sudden it started failing and throwing errors.   I was unable to list caged animal sales and other pets through the addon.    Month after month passed with no work around or no update.   I switched to another addon so that I could continue to post items,  but the new addon didn't do everything that Auctionator was able to perform.

Ultimately the addon was updated and it's been clicking away my inventory ever since.   I even donated a few dollars towards the programmer to help.    I also got an interesting laugh at all of the demands that were made if the addon was not updated.   Language that probably would have gotten someone punched in the face if they had said it in public.  

Ranting and raving about how an addon update is not available does not help.  All it does is tend to make to programmer wonder whether it is truly worth the frustration to deal with all of the crabby kids.   Where adaptation becomes just as important as how to click a button multiple times to list items.

Gold Goblins adjust to the situation when it comes to addons.  Sometimes you have to find a new addon,  or adjust how you use an addon.   Thinking outside the box can help with lessening a lot of the frustration when an addon goes wrong.

Addons are not the end all and be all of being a Gold Goblin.   Every so often I will turn off all of my addons and play with the base Warcraft crafting tools.    It can be a little daunting to go from full addon changes to none,   like stepping into an alien atmosphere.  But it also can prep you to what is occurring underneath the shiny exterior of full addon support.

So the next time that you see an addon hasn't been updated immediately,  be patient with the programmers.  Through a little thank you into the queue and sit down and wait patiently.   It will help you in the long run instead of having abandonment issues with your favorite addon.

Good Luck and Good Hunting


Want to get in contact with me? . Email me at Dragonbearjoe @ gmail. dOT com or find me on twitter at "@JMTCMommar" You can find me hanging out on the Shandris Server, chat me up and I will buy you a glass of juice. 

Previous Entries

The Guild: Striking Tone For Sales
Controlling Your Reputation
Are You Experienced
Farming Post Patch 5.1
The Hours of Power
Profit Calculation 101:  GPH
THIS IS GOLD MAKING!!!!
Prepping For Darkmoon Faire
Limited Item Is My Favorite Word
Patch Me Now
Old World Farming
Shake Off The Bad Days
Secret Of  My Success.html
Know Their Roles
Flipping Off The Competition
Kyparite: The New Pyrite
Pilgrim's Bounty For The Educated
Is Your Cartel Happy?
Brawlers Guild: Your Killing Us Here
Change of Scenery
Mists of Pandaria in 5 words


Enhanced by Zemanta

0 comments: on "Addon Abandonment Issues"

Post a Comment

Insider Gold Strategies

Enter Your Name & Email Below to Receive My 7 Theories On Making Gold... Guaranteed to Put You Ahead of 99% of Players Out There

 

 

Recent Comments

Subscribe to recent comments

Labels

Blog Archive

Featured On:

Just My Two Copper - WoW Gold GuideJust My Two Copper - WoW Gold Guide