Keeping Track of Your Auction House

This post is an application written by Calum. Please respond with your feedback and if you'd like to see Calum hired at JMTC, give him a thumbs up in the comments!

I can't help but notice that every gold guide will provide you strategies to make gold, but they always say the same thing - It depends on your server. But how do you know? How do you keep track of the auction house? US servers have TheUndermineJournal, but not everyone is so fortunate. For those maybe not on US servers, or who might prefer another way to watch the AH, there is an addon for you. Market Watcher scans the auction house for all the auctions of a previously specified item and then complies the data and displays the information in a nice and easy to read graph. I had little success with the auction house. I would sell a couple of stacks of borean leather and be amazed when I got the gold, only to find out that they where selling for 5g dearer the next day. After discovering Market Watcher i was able to make better decisions about buying and selling items on my server.

How to set up Market Watcher

So once you have it installed, you just need to set it up and you will be ready to take control of your auction house. Ok, first thing to do is open up the history tab.


These two are your Market Watcher tabs:



Then you will want to add an item that you want to follow:



Click on add item, type the item into the box that shows up, click get item info and then click add. If Market Watcher is unable to find the item, then you can find the item ID from sites like wowhead, for example the item ID of copper bar can be found from the url http://www.wowhead.com/item=2840  so the item ID is 2840.

Once you have added your item another screen will give you options on how



Market Watcher will scan that item:




The highlighted box is primarily what needs changed. First, you will want to tick the Record Scans box. The other two boxes determine how long Market Watcher will keep data for this item. I tend to leave it at 30 days and 30 entries. The other options allow you to control what kind of auctions Market Watcher scans. Now that you have an item for Market Watcher to look for, all that you need to do is scan for it. This can be found in the Scan tab, and there is a button in the upper right side of the auction house window, click scan and market watcher will gather all the information about the auctions for the items that you have specified. After it's finished scanning, it will show the results in the history tab.

After your first scan you should get results as follows:



Now that you have Market Watcher set up it will collect information on all the items in its list and once there is more than one result, it will produce a graph for you.
Your browser may not support display of this image.
You can change what lines are shown and what the time period is. Now that you have Market Watcher set up you can see the trends that items on your auction house are taking, which will help you to know when an item is selling low and when it is selling high.

Do you want to write for JMTC? Send in a post to Markco and if it makes it past the initial screening process then I will publish your submission on the blog. JMTC pays 50% commission to writers on the day that their post goes live. 

18 comments: on "Keeping Track of Your Auction House"

  1. I heard about the addon about 2 years ago, tried it once and uninstalled it. I don't know why, I wasn't so much of a goblin back then. I've been tempted to reinstall it the past few months but didn't want to bother trying to work it out. I might do it know though. Nice post, thumbs up from me.

    Message to Markco: I like how the recent guest posts have been about different things. If it was kept like this we could see a lot more different kinds of posts about a lot of things. I like that.

  2. Nice post.
    Now i just need to see the screenshots in the post - they are missing now?

  3. Good Job on this post.

    I've been using market watcher before UMJ came out, and yes it is that easy to scan and have the same info as UMJ inside the game.

    Props on a well done article.

    A personal pet peave of mine, I have not been able to figure out how to backup the entries I make for Market Watcher, as such, everytime I upgrade the application, I have to recreate the entire entries. So some of you may not like that fact. Also, maybe some of you do know how to backup the input data. If you do, please share with the rest of us.

  4. Hi Daniel, get ready because there are TONS of guest posters and new writers submitting articles at the moment.

    I think that you are going to be pleasantly surprised! :D

  5. I'll be short : thumbs up !

  6. Hmm. There was screen shots. I checked it myself before giving it to JMTC, and they seemed to work. Must have got lost. I'm a bit disappointed they didn't work. Sorry about that everyone.

  7. I'll see if maybe they got uploaded incorrectly

  8. Hey Calum, the images do not appear to be coming across in gmail. If you could send me them separate from the document then I could try uploading them to my server here and republishing the post.

    Sorry everyone for the lack of images, I think that it speaks volumes to the quality of the article that the message is conveyed well without the images.

  9. Hey Bones, in the description for market watcher on curse.com it says the data is stored here : "\World of Warcraft\WTF\Account\\SavedVariables\MarketWatcher.lua"

  10. Great Post Calum!

    Very informative, love the pictures, can't wait to see the next one!

    Alto

  11. Very nice post Calum,I really enjoyed reading it and learned a lot too. I would definitely like to see more of your posts in the future.

  12. Very nice post calum, I'm new to the gold making game although I've always wanted to have money to be able to spend on big expensive things:P and this post taught me alot, definitely going to pick this add on up before my next login!
    Thumbs up!

  13. Loved this post going to try this addon tomorrow also agree with Daniel loving the new diffrent posts

  14. I used Market Watcher a while back (as it was in game unlike TheUndermineJournal) and the biggest issue I found was having to scan the auctions on a regular basis to ensure I had accurate data. With a busy life outside of WoW & all of my other WoW activities it became a pain so I went back to TheUndermineJournal.

  15. MOAR! I WANT MOAR!

  16. Yeah, I agree with Daniel: the variety that is being showcased is breathing new life into JMTC. Not that it needs new life; it's just great to diversify. Right? ;)

    Excellent post, Calum. Big thumbs up from me. It was well-detailed, concise and easy to follow. There was a slight formatting issue with a particular break and the order of two images, but after re-reading that section I put two and two together and it all made sense.

    I would love to have a UMJ-like addon right there in the game. Sounds very handy. I do find it easy to browse UMJ and check my watchlist to see if anything is worth leaping at, but with a scan-type addon like Market Watcher running, if it gets set up right then I can use that as well and see if it makes a difference to my tracking and snatching. ;)

  17. Nicely-done post. I appreciated its clarity, and the illustrations were appropriate and added to the content.

    I'm also enjoying the variety of front-page posts in general lately, and appreciate the direction JMTC is taking :)

  18. I'm not sure you're the Calum from my realm or not, but I'd like to think so. My server is so small, and the market needs all the goblins it can get!

Post a Comment

Insider Gold Strategies

Enter Your Name & Email Below to Receive My 7 Theories On Making Gold... Guaranteed to Put You Ahead of 99% of Players Out There

 

 

Recent Comments

Subscribe to recent comments

Labels

Blog Archive

Featured On:

Just My Two Copper - WoW Gold GuideJust My Two Copper - WoW Gold Guide