That Thing You Do

Mommar here

When I started playing Warcraft,  I was a lost little puppy.   The game was awesome whenever I cranked up my computer.   I watched as players would run around,  kill mobs.  Being completely lost in all that is warcraft,  I set some personal rules for how I would continue.  One of those rules was that I would share if I had extra of something.

As I later progressed with joining a guild,  being taught how to tank (through research and trial and error) I adjusted the thinking that I had to I would not sell my profession items to guildees.   Hearing that some guilds choose to charge for everything surprised me.   It boggled my mind the idea that you would expect someone to cooperate with you,  and yet charge them for the smallest of items (mage food,  health food etc).   Trying to be the best guild member I could be,  I proceeded to pick up different professions on my toons (I choose my warrior to be both my Leatherworker and Blacksmith because it would give me access to the best pattern drops).

As I've continued on in my Warcraft career,  and started becoming a gold goblin I saw my rules stretched to their end.   Guildees would ask for something, and just automatically pay for crafted items.  I had already accrued a large amount of gold in my coffers so 100g here or 100g there really wasn't going to break my bank.  Being a packrat as well I had toon banks (and later guild banks) full of the
strangest of things.  Turn in items for rep,  grey hats that looked cool.  Items that I never knew if someone would end up asking for.  A big shout out always goes to ArkInventory in help keeping track of it.

So why am I sharing this little glimpse into the world of Mommar?   I was reminded last night about why I made that decision a long time ago to not sell to Guildees.   As the Consortium website had reported earlier in the week,  the toy seller in Dalaran Jepetto Joybuzz and a few other vendors in different cities are selling the Warbot Ignition Key.  This is the pet you could obtain in 2008 from turning in Mountain Dew Game Fuel codes (the drink was nasty,  but the pet was pretty cool).

The Warbot Ignition Key is unique only,  so you can only have one in your bag (you can have multiple ones on the AH,  just have to run back each time to add another one).  There have been some reported bugs that leaving this in your bag and logging out make it disappear.   But back to our story.

As I was playing in my guild I told another one of my cartel about the Ignition Key.   I figured he would pick up one and sell it like I had on the AH.   He later told me that he had bought the one I had placed on the Auction House.   This openly violated my don't sell to guildees rule.   So I jumped over to the mailbox to refund the gold to him.  Undoubtedly there will be an argument about me keeping the gold etc.   So I will just send it to his girlfriend who is also in my guild.  That will take care of the issue.

Making gold is relatively easy in warcraft.  Just the basic grinding out of gems will make you gold ultimately.   Making items and DE'ing them will make you gold.   Flipping items from the Auction House will make you gold.   The important thing to look at is why are you making gold,  and what do you do with it?   There is no condemnation for players who want to make the most gold they can no matter what.   Others choose to be overly generous with their gold.   There is no right or wrong thing to do with gold.   It's a fallacy to believe that it's 'wrong' in charging an exorbitant amount of gold for an item.  In the long run,  players will determine their own pricing and what they're willing to buy something for.   Any type of rules or self regulation is determined by the sellers.

So that's my story,  and I'm sticking to it.

Good Luck and Good Hunting


Previous Articles

MOP:  Powerleveling Leatherworking in the Vale
MOP Prep:   Prepping the Farmer
MOP Prep:  Get to the Points
MOP Prep:  Reduction in Inventory
MOP Prep: Stuff to Gold,  Gold to Stuff
MOP Prep: Setting the Lineup
MOP Prep: Setting up the Cartel
MOP Prep:   Zero Balance Investment
Long Term Vs Short Term Profits
Two Accounts.. Twice the Profit
Thanks Uncle Scrooge McBlizzard
Goblins, Pandas and Blood Elfs O My
The Secret For Investing for MOP
I know what the Rock is cooking (in PVP Gear)
How Much Effect Do Bloggers Have?
The Death and Life of Truegold
Time vs Gold Investment
Return to your Essence
Harmony - We Don't Need Harmony
Jewelcrafting dailies or something
Its All Attitude
It's the Little Things
The Doh Club
Psychology of Selling



Enhanced by Zemanta

0 comments: on "That Thing You Do"

Post a Comment

Insider Gold Strategies

Enter Your Name & Email Below to Receive My 7 Theories On Making Gold... Guaranteed to Put You Ahead of 99% of Players Out There

 

 

Recent Comments

Subscribe to recent comments

Labels

Blog Archive

Featured On:

Just My Two Copper - WoW Gold GuideJust My Two Copper - WoW Gold Guide